Wednesday, December 13, 2017

The True Meaning of Christmas (Hanukkah, Solstice, etc....)

As constant readers may have gathered, we aren't the religious sort around here. We're big on presents  (because making people happy is fun) and food (because, FOOD!) for all occasions, not so much on rules and worship. But another circle around the sun is also always a good time to ponder the things are important to our lives. My year end thought for you is about what I find meaningful.

The other day a friend did a poll on Facebook about starting a new religion, and what your tenets would be if you were allowed only two.  I didn't even have to think about it. Mine were be kind and help whenever you can. That's all. And I really believe that covers most of it. My favorite Kurt Vonnegut quote (with apologies to my Australian friends for the backwards seasons) is from his book Hocus Pocus (and yes, it may well be the only good thing from that book ) “Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. On the outside, babies, you've got a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies-"God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

So yesterday, on another Facebook page, (yeah, I do spend too much time on Facebook, so?) a fellow mom was frantic as her son had not yet received his call from Santa, even though her daughter had  gotten hers earlier that day. To make matters worse, it was her son's birthday. It was 4PM and he was losing hope. So (of course without asking, right?) I volunteered my husband to make the call.  I got all the information from the mom, the phone number, the child's name, what he wanted, some tidbits that only Santa would know, and marched over to tell my husband what he had to do. And yes, this is why I love him so, while he rolled his eyes at me for volunteering him with checking with him, he also put on his deepest "HO,HO,HO, MERRY CHRISTMAS" voice, scratched out a little script so he wouldn't leave out anything important, and called that little boy to save the day.

And also yes, if there is anything sexier than a grown man doing everything in his power to make sure there is a bit more joy in the world, I don't know what it is.

Wishing all of you a happy holiday season, sharing time with the ones you love, making the world a little happier place in whatever ways you can, however and whatever you choose to celebrate.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice blog post Suki and nice hubby. Wouldn’t be religious at all so I like your new religion !

Suki said...

Thanks so much!!!! Everyone is welcome. too!