Friday, August 21, 2020

NOT MY COVID STORY

This is not my story, this is my friend's story, I won't use her name, or include too many. details, because, well, it's not my story. I tried to write short version for Rye Moms, but it was rejected as "not right for the page." I'll leave you to your own conclusions about that.

My friend is a nurse. She went back to school to get her nursing degree in her late 40s after she beat cancer. That the kind of person she is. I hadn't seen her in over 20 years, and when she found out I was all alone, cleaning out my parents' house after my dad died, she dropped everything and came over to sit with me. That's the kind of person she is. She and her husband were high school sweethearts. That's the kind of person she is.

As I type this, she is in a rehab center, relearning to move her body after nearly two months on a ventilator. She can't go home until she can take care of herself. A day after she was released to the rehab center, her twenty-something aged girls had to tell her that their dad, her husband of 30 years, couldn't visit, because he died shortly after she succumbed to this vicious bug and went onto the ventilator. The last thing she remembers is sitting by his hospital room, holding up a card she brought him for their anniversary. That was late-May.

The summer is nearly gone, and our COVID cases are now few. I hear people saying it's gone, we can socialize again safely, and I see how they look at me when I refuse. I know many people think wearing a mask outside is unnecessary, but I'm wearing it anyplace people might get near me. Because the heart of what I do as a Mom is to protect my family. So my questions are, what would you do to keep your kids from having to break that news to you?  What would you do to save them the pain of 2 months of not knowing if tomorrow was the day they might become orphans? What would you do to keep your family safe?

Keep wearing masks, even when your friends roll their eyes. Keep six feet away from people not in your household. Stay out of crowded spaces. Limit your time indoors with others to only necessary trips. Eventually we will have a vaccine or a cure, but until then, stay safe.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Suki, this is heartbreaking.
Thank you for sharing.
Just now seeing your blog. I'm so happy to have found it.